From the Publisher...
DESCRIPTION AND PREPARATION
- A board with 16 squares.
- 16 different pieces each with 4 characteristics : light or dark, round or
square, tall or short, solid or hollow.
At the start of the game, the pieces are arrenged at the side of the board.
OBJECTIVE OF THE GAME
To establish a line of four pieces, with at least one common characteristic on
The line of pieces may be accross the board, up and down, or along a diagonal.
- The players throw dice to see who starts.
- The first player selects one of the 16 pieces and gives it to his opponent.
- That player places the piece on any square on the board; he must then choose
one of the 15 pieces remaining and give it to his opponent.
- In his turn, that player places the piece on a empty square, and so on...
WINNING THE GAME
The game is won by the first player to call “QUARTO !”.
1. A player calls “QUARTO !” and wins the game when, as he places the piece
given to him:
-> He creates a line of 4 light pieces or 4 dark pieces or 4 round pieces or
4 square pieces or 4 tall pieces or 4 short pieces or 4 solid pieces or 4 hollow
Different characteristics can accumulate.
-> He does not need to have placed the 3 other pieces himself.
-> He must declare his win by calling “QUARTO !”.
2. If this player has not noticed the alignment and passes a piece to the
-> The latter may “at that moment” call “QUARTO !” and indicate the
He wins the game.
3. If none of the players sees the alignment during the move during which it is
created, it loses any value and the game continues.
END OF THE GAME
- Game winner: A player who calls and points out a “QUARTO !”.
- Game even: All the pieces have been placed and no winner declared.
DURATION OF THE GAME
- From 10 to 20 minutes. In a tournament, each player may be allocated a time
limit of 1 minute per move.
VARIATION FOR BEGINNERS (FOR EXEMPLE, CHILDREN...)
Until you are familiar with the game, you can play with 1,2 or 3 features as
line criteria. For exemple: Create on the board a line of 4 pieces of the same
colour. (just one feature chosen).
VARIATION FOR ADVANCED PLAYERS
The objective of the game is to create a line or a square of 4 pieces having at
least one common feature. There are then 9 additional ways of calling “QUARTO
Copyright 1991 Gigamic s.a , based on an idea by Blaise Muller.
Customer Raves - Write your own Rave about this game!
(Click on a person's name or game group to see other raves by the same person or group.